News Mail Nigeria reported earlier today that President Muhammadu Buhari has sent a request to the Senate to approve Abdulrasheed Bawa as new EFCC Chairman.
The latest controversy trailing the 40 years old’s new juicy promotion is the revelation of his relationship with Abubakar Malami the Attorney General of Nigeria who played a major role to remove the immediate past Chairman of the anti-graft organization, Ibrahim Magu .
It has been uncovered that Abdulrasheed Bawa is Malami’s cousin.
Here are 5 facts about Abdulrasheed Bawa :
1. Education According to a statement by the presidency on Tuesday, the incoming EFCC boss Bawa holds a B.Sc degree in Economics. New crisis, war of words in APC as Buhari’s minister, chieftain bicker over party registration He also holds a Masters in International Affairs and Diplomacy.
2. Career as EFCC investigator Bawa is an intrepid investigator for the EFCC. He boasts a “vast experience in the investigation and prosecution of Advance Fee Fraud cases, official corruption, bank fraud, money laundering, and other economic crimes.” Impressively, he is one of the pioneer EFCC cadet officers since 2005. He is currently the Lagos zonal head of the anti-graft agency.
3. Just 40 years If eventually confirmed as the substantive chairman of the EFCC by the Senate, Bawa will go down in history as the most ” youthful” man to head the anti-corruption commission.
4. Professional exposure Bawa boasts of experience and confidence as seen in his intimidating CV. He is a young investigator who has had training in many countries including the US and UK.
5. Malami’s cousin? Bawa is said to be a cousin to the minister of justice and attorney-general, Abubakar Malami, though the truth behind this claim has not been established.
Nigerians have been reacting to the news of Malami being Abdulrasheed Bawa’s cousin. Read below:
Mazi @FestusGreen Flag of Nigeria
“Ex EFCC chairman Ibrahim Magu arrested Abdulrasheed Bawa (new chairman of EFCC) on allegations of oil theft & other crimes.
DSS then arrested Ibrahim Magu on allegations of fraud & all manner of corruption.
President Buhari is overseeing the most corrupt administration ever.”
Mazi Chukwüdi° Yellow heartBlue heart
“This Abdulrasheed Bawa is even the Cousin of Minister of Justice, Malami. Face with tears of joyFace with tears of joyFace with tears of joy
This same Bawa was once investigated by ex EFCC boss, Magu for alleged crime he committed some years ago.
Now he’s the boss at 40.
SouthWest BMC una go hear am.”
“Abdulrasheed Bawa is AGF Malami’s cousin, he was arrested by Magu EFCC for Oil Theft and yet Buhari is about to make him EFCC next Chairman.
Me: EFCC is to be head by Northerners alone, Nigeria is only united by crude oil, sea port and air port in the southern region.”
“We want youth in government, President Buhari has nominated Abdulrasheed Bawa to head EFCC, whether he is a cousin to AGF Malami or not is inconsequential. We have a capable youth as EFCC Boss. Congratulations to him.”
𝐌𝕆𝐇𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐄Japanese symbol for beginner
“Congrats young man Abdulrasheed bawa. I pray that God almighty will give you the power to deliver without uncontrollable cabals & you apply just in any case, irrespective of his or her personality!
I pray you’ve the zeal to deal with the old & new looters of our treasures”
“Truth is if Abdulrasheed Bawa was not having these controversies hangling on his neck, he would have been a good choice as a young 40 yrs old…. a gift to the youths.”
“I just heard Abdulrasheed Bawa is a cousin to Malami’s (SAN), and he was arrested by Magu’s EFCC for Oil Theft is the same person that will replace Magu as EFCC Chairman.
Chai, and my SW BMC guys are having strategic meeting with boli or bole and Ponmo. When will they learn?”
“Appointing a 40 year old Abdulrasheed bawa as EFCC boss is a huge victory for the youths.”
Mazi @FestusGreen Flag of Nigeria
“Malami: Suspects sought ways to bribe Magu, other EFCC investigators.
Magu: Show evidence I collected bribes, enriched myself.
EFCC under Magu: Arrested it’s new Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, on allegations of fraud.
DSS: Arrested Magu on allegations bribery
Who’s in #AsoRock?”
“With all due respect I believe a lot of people are more qualified than Abdulrasheed Bawa to become the next EFCC Lagos branch boss; I see no reason why someone who was arrested & exposed for his criminal act should occupy such office. The govt should stop playing politics.”
Abdul-Aziz Na’ibi Abubakar
“Even during the administration of the corrupt PDP, they never appoint someone who has corruption case to lead a particular ministry/commission.
The appointment of Abdulrasheed Bawa as EFCC Boss clearly insinuates that, Buhari/APC are promoting corruption.”
“PMB appoints Abdulrasheed Bawa EFCC chair, clearing the coast for Ibrahim Magu to go home, enjoy his loot, & run for gov in 2023. Looters paradise!”
EFCC Chairpersons (2003-2021)
Nuhu Ribadu (2003 – 2007)
Farida Waziri (2008 – 2011)
Ibrahim Lamorde (2011 – 2015)
Ibrahim Magu (Acting 2015 -2020)
Mohammed Abba (Acting 2020 – 2021)
Abdulrasheed Bawa (Acting 2021 – Date)
Waziri is the only woman to have led the EFCC .